The holidays are a great time to relax, spend time with friends and family, and reduce energy consumption. As the new year approaches, here are six easy ways to significantly reduce your energy usage.
- Stay Warm with Style – Turn your heater down and wear warm clothes indoors. It’s a great time to break out your “unique” holiday sweater or winter hat!
- Use LED Holiday Lights – Deck the halls with LED decorative lighting! LEDs can last 25 times longer than traditional bulbs, and use significantly less energy.
- Cook Wisely – Use lids on your pots when possible, don’t preheat for longer than necessary, and bake more than one item at a time.
- Use Energy Star Appliances – If you need to replace any large appliances, make sure to get ENERGY STAR-certified models. Although sometimes a larger initial investment, it will be paid off relatively quickly through lower energy bills.
- Insulation is the Best Policy! Make sure that your home is completely insulated. Sealing a single gap – for example underneath your door – can save significantly on utility bills. Seal cracks, keep windows closed, and stay cozy.
- Vacationing? Before you set off on your adventure, remember to turn off all your lights, put your water heater in vacation mode, and close all windows and doors.